Although this late summer continues to bring warm weather, the cold & flu season is on our heels. It’s hard to imagine that sniffles and coughs find their way into our lives even when the sun is shining and it’s 80 degrees outside but preparing our respiratory system now is a good investment for winter. There are a variety of ways to incorporate lung supporting herbs into your day whether it’s through food, infusions or tincture but we find that warm herbal teas are the easiest and most enjoyable form of plant medicine. Below we have a stress relieving, lung strengthening and immune building herbal concoction that tastes sweet and nourishing.
- 1 part Mullein Leaf
- tones the mucous membrane. Loosens mucus.
- 1 part Elder Flower
- heat decongestant
- 1 part Marshmallow Root
- soothes mucosal linings and helps with coughs.
- 1 part Thyme Leaves
- strong antimicrobial. thins mucous.
- 1 part Wild Cherry Bark
- cooling and drying for wet coughs
- 1/2 part Coltsfoot
- induces coughing and clearing of lung pathways
- 1 part Yerba Santa
- also induces expectoration
- Pinch of Ginger
*Many of these herbs can be found in dry form at Harvest House Market in Concord.*