We all know how fun it is to treat yourself and others during the holidays. Chocolates…pies…cookies are all delicious vehicles of cheer this time of year but it’s nice to have a treat that isn’t so heavy on the tummy. Enter vegan and gluten free gingerbread macaroons. The tried and true spice mix that creates the warm and familiar gingerbread taste also has lots of benefits! Cinnamon reduces blood sugar levels and can also help reduce risk of heart disease; clove aids in digestion and is an anti-microbial; nutmeg also smooths indigestion and helps blood circulation; ginger is incredibly stimulating and is one of the most powerful herbs for digestive function; and coconut oil is an anti-microbial that is soothing and hydrating. Needless to say, these macaroons are delicious and pack a nutritive punch! Find the super simple ingredients and instructions below. & if you want to dip these into melted organic dark chocolate, we fully support you.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until well blended and the mixture starts to clump. Using a one inch cookie scoop, pack the mixture into the scoop and place the scoop on cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Turn off oven but leave the cookies inside for 15 additional minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
*Recipe from: http://www.spoonfulofflavor.com/2015/12/07/gingerbread-macaroons/